IPC A 610 Training For Instructors
The IPC A-610 training for the instructor is the class for the preparation for teaching associate (CIS) level in the preeminent standard for electronics inspection, the IPC-A-610 Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies. This is a worldwide standard published by the IPC based on member and industry input. It is an internationally-recognized standard for the product acceptance for consumer grade, industrial grade, medical grade and military grade assemblies.
The IPC A-610 training (CIT) program is part of an industry-developed and approved program including training materials and certification based on the IPC A-610 standard. Companies generally adopt this program to meet the requirements of an ANSI-driven 3rd party training program as well as meeting the contractual requirements of their customers.
This training and certification have recognition in the electronics industry worldwide as the accepted standard. The IPC-A-610 instructor training program is a technically accurate and very comprehensive program. It provides certified IPC trainers with high-quality materials for training IPC-A-610 application specialists within the organization.
The IPC A-610 acceptance criteria program has multiple levels of instruction. Master instructors, working at various consulting firms or at the licensed training centers are at the pinnacle of the program. Their multiple years of industry and teaching experience make them well-suited to teach the teachers (CITs- certified instructor trainers). These instructors usually are military-trained or have lots of both practical and instructional experience which bring the “standard to life” through real experiences. The certified IPC-A-610 trainer candidates are sent by their respective companies to receive training on the IPC-A-610 from an IPC authorized certification center like BEST Inc. Candidates are certified once they complete their course of study and pass the certification examinations. Certified IPC Trainers are also provided instructional aids for training application specialists or CIS candidates. IPC A-610 training is valid for a 2 year period of time after successful course completion. After the two year certification period has lapsed credentialed individuals they must then re-certify at an IPC authorized certification site.
What’s material is taught in the IPC-A-610 instructor class?
- Establishing and Maintaining the Integrity of the IPC credential
- Learning about the online training portal CQI
- Foreword, Applicable Documents, and Handling
- Terminal Connections
- Wires to those terminal connections
- PCBs including rigid, rigid-flex and flex
- Throughhole Technology
- Surface Mount Assemblies
- Component Damage
- Wire wrap
- High Voltage soldering terminations
- Course Summary/Review
- Open Book Examination
- Closed Book Examination<
- Inspection of boards for practice (time permitting)
How much time should I budget for this certification class in the IPC A-610?
Reasons for Becoming an IPC A-610 CIT (Trainer)
There are typically two different reasons clients would like to become an IPC-A-610 CIT. In some cases, the individual responsible for QC or training will have a mandate to know all of the latest specifications in IPC-A-610. This person may have to guide customer quality or other audits, answer quality surveys or help to referee inspections of printed The CIT credential gives the person some authority and knowledge to perform these functions. In other cases, the IPC-A-610 trainer will go back to their respective company and be responsible for administering and training a variety of soldering associates, QC, management customers in the IPC training and certification program for the IPC-A-610 Acceptability of Printed Wiring Boards.
Who Are Candidates for Becoming an IPC-A-610 Instructor?
In most cases, someone from the QC, operations training or engineering staff will become the IPC A-610 instructor at a given business. In larger organizations, there are usually at a minimum of 2 certified IPC-A-610 trainers in case of employee transition or workload changes If you or someone you are sending is responsible for the outgoing quality of electronic assemblies, consider them becoming an IPC A-610 CIT. IPC A-610 trainers and quality supervisors versed in electronic assembly are excellent candidates for A-610 instructor training as are personnel associated with process development, process troubleshooting, program management or a variety of engineering areas.
After training thousands of trainers in 20+ years here are some practical guidelines for choosing who should become the IPC-A-610 instructor for your organization:
- Speak, read and write in the English language (unless the class is being held in another language using non-English material such as Spanish or Mandarin) at least to the 5th-grade level
- Someone who has at least 3 years of experience in electronics manufacturing so that they can illustrate concepts through “real world experiences”
- Someone who can relate well to people and who has very solid communication skills and is not shy about standing in front of people to teach
- Someone who is very comfortable in and around computers as the testing and administration of the course material for the IPC A-610 training instructor program is PC-based.
What do you walk away with after you pass the IPC-A 610?
Students who successfully complete the program will receive instructional materials necessary for conducting Certified IPC Specialist Training their companies. The list currently includes:
- Course Visuals (PowerPoint) through the IPC EDGE platform
- The IPC-A-610 standard
- Access to the online testing portal to certify IPC-A-610 CIS candidates
- An Instructor Guide for teaching the class through the IPC EDGE platform
- IPC Certification (when you pass the class)