IPC-A-620 Certification For CSE's
The IPC A-620 CSE wire harness and cable assembly acceptance training put together by BEST in accordance with the IPC-A-620 standard is designed for those who want to “brush up” on their knowledge base (the other option being going through the entire IPC-A-620 CIT training program and then taking the certification tests for the CSE) The IPC-A-620 is an international standard assembled and published by the IPC and Wire Harness Manufacturers Association.
It is known internationally as a standard for the acceptance criteria for wire harnesses and cable assemblies The IPC-A-620 CSE candidates are NOT trainers and do not train any employees per se in the IPC-A-620 standard. They are typically those “go to” people in your company when it comes to the standard in question or questions about applying the standard. They do NOT have any training requirements. They are also the “go between” on the IPC standard in question and where it is going. They have a “heads up” on the standard as it is evolving. There is also a IPC-A-620 CSE Sr designation with industry longevity and resume analysis.
The “industry general knowledge” part of the IPC A-620 CSE standard certification testing is a closed-book test with multiple-choice questions. The examination is timed and candidates must answer the questions within a one hour time slot (speed PLUS accuracy count!). Topics include the following topical areas:
Terms and definitions
- Flow down requirements
- Acceptance requirements
- Classification of electron assemblies
- Appendix in the standard
- Assembly requirements
The IPC A-620 certification program has multiple levels including Master Instructors, Certified Instructors, applications specialists as well as the CSE an Senior IPC-A-620 CSE designations. IPC A-620 CSE and Master CSE for A-620 retains it validity for a 2 year period of time after successful certification. After the two year certification period has lapsed credentialed individuals they must then re-certify .
What’s material is taught as part of the CSE certification by BEST?
Requirements and Acceptance for Cable and Wire Harness Assemblies and Applicable Documents
Insulation Displacement (IDC)
Molding / Potting
Cable Assemblies and Wires
Coaxial and Twinaxial Cable Assemblies
Wire Bundle Securing
Cable/Wire Harness Protective Coverings
CSE certification exam
IPC-A-620 CSE Closed Book Examination
How much time should I budget for the IPC-A-620 CSE certification testing if I am NOT going to challenge test the material?
Reasons for Becoming Certified as an IPC A-620 CSE
Subject matter experts show customers that your firm is serious about learning and developing your craft at inspecting, building or using electronic assemblies. The IPC-A-620 CSE program is for those companies who do not require or desire to have an IPC trainer on staff.
Who Are Candidates for Becoming an IPC-A-620 CSE?
In most cases, someone from the QC, operations training or engineering staff will become the IPC A-620 CSE or Master CSE. These are people associated with 620 instructor training as are personnel associated with process troubleshooting, process development, program management or other various engineering disciplines.
After training many specialists as well as trainers BEST has come up with a list of practical filters for choosing who should become the IPC-A-610 CSE or subject matter expert in your company:
- Someone who has at least 3 years of experience in electronics manufacturing so that they can illustrate concepts through “real world experiences
- Speak, read and write in the English language (unless the class is being held in another language using non-English material such as Spanish or Mandarin) at least to the 5th-grade level
- Someone who can relate well to people and who has very solid communication skills and is not shy about standing in front of people to teach
- Someone who is authorized to travel to IPC meetings in order to improve the standard through the IPC committee standards development process.
What do you have to achieve to pass the IPC-A 620 CSE certification?
- At least one time passing the EPP or the material which demonstrates the proficiency you have in knowing the IPC Policies and Procedures for the IPC CSE program.
- At least one time in passing an open exam on general electronics industry knowledge
- Passing to a satisfaction of 80% or greater an open book test on general and advanced concepts in the IPC-A-620 standard
Further requirements on the CSE program can be found here